faqs Caron  -   Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Sharing answers
to common inquiries

We talk to a lot of customers, and hear many of the same questions. Here’s a list of several of the most common, along with a brief answer. In-depth answers can be found in Caron’s product user manuals.

What water quality do I need in my unit?

All Caron chambers require ph-neutral water of between 50K Ohms and 1Meg Ohms resistivity. This type of water can be obtained from distilled, reverse osmosis (RO) or deionized (DI) sources. Caron offers a system, the CRSY condensate recirculator, for facilities without a house water system.

Less pure water, with resistivity less than 50K Ohms, can lead to difficult to remove mineral deposits on system components, or within the chamber.  Water of greater purity, such as ultrapure or Water For Injection (WFI) above 1 Meg Ohm can attack key unit components, causing damage not covered under warranty.  See our Water Specifications Bulletin for more details.

Which cleaning chemicals are OK to use?

Alcohol-based solutions, Quatenary Ammonia (Quats), and most mild liquid agents can be used to clean and disinfect unit interiors, components, and external surfaces.  Caron also offers a time-saving vaporized hydrogen peroxide-based automatic sterilization system for many units.

Cleaner/disinfectants to avoid include chlorinated agents, abrasives, and aggressive solvents. Consult Caron's Disinfectants Bulletin for more details.

I don't have access to a floor drain, but your system specifies one. What can I do?

Fortunately, Caron's CRSY Condensate Recirculator provides a clean and resource responsible solution to condensate removal. This accessory hooks up to both unit drain and feed lines, running condensate through particulate and deionization (DI) filters, and returning it to the unit as clean purified feed water. Water usage is cut dramatically, and the expense and hassle of installing a new floor drain, or pumping condensate long distances are avoided. See the CRS page within Products for more information.

I know I need to test my products for photodegradation, but I don't know where to start. Is buying a photostability unit the best first step to take?

No, photostability testing for drugs, nutraceuticals, food, and personal care products all should be conducted according to the ICH's Q1B test standard. That standard specifies both statistical methodology and environmental conditions. While Carons chambers provide the best blend of test speed and accuracy, we recommend either establishing an in-house test department, prior to purchasing a unit, or sending samples to a qualified third-party test group. For more answers about photostability testing, download Caron's Photostability Frequently Asked Questions.

Can the temperature inside my lab affect operation of my units?

Definitely. Depending on the model in question, ambient temperatures that are too high or too low can prevent your unit from reaching setpoint. Refer to the specific unit manual for more details on what ambient range your unit can accommodate.

I can't get my Caron chamber through a doorway. Can I lay it down and slide it through?

Contact Caron Technical Service for recommendations. Generally, refrigerated units all have special laying-down procedures, and some units cannot be laid down. In addition, extreme care must be taken to avoid injury to personnel or damage to equipment when performing this type of activity. Caron offers 25 cu.ft. units designed to roll through standard doors to help you avoid this type of issue.

If a screen alert comes up, can I still use the unit?

Most current Caron products feature a touchscreen controller that uses a yellow pop-up triangle icon to alert the user to an upcoming maintenance concern. These alerts are all time-based, so they don't reflect an actual problem with the unit. Like the "change oil" light on your car, they're just designed to remind you to maintain your unit, preventing issues down the road. It is perfectly safe to continue using the unit until your service technician arrives to perform the necessary component or consumable replacements.

What's the difference between an Animal or Insect chamber, and a regular environmental chamber or incubator?

Insect and Animal Rearing chambers incorporate special application-specific accessories.  While most of these accessories can be added to general-purpose incubators, Caron's Insect and Animal chambers either bundle with or lists as options everthing you'll need for rearing insects or small animals.  Click here to find out more about insect chambers and here for additional animal chamber Q&A.

I have a lot of questions about this new LED technology for plant growth; where can I go to separate fact from fiction?

It's understandable; there's a lot to sort out, here.  See Caron's FAQ document for the basics on why do transition from fluorescent to LED plant lighting, and what to look for in a unit with this new technology..

Where can I find a User Manual for my unit?

You're in luck - all Caron User Manuals can be found on this website. Click here to link directly to the location for current Caron models, or here to link to the manual location for older products.

I need to make sure my lab is ready for the new unit.  How can I be certain I have the right wall outlet?

Caron has combined electrical specifications, including standard plug/receptacle types, into a convenient list.  Refer to your manual, or contact Caron technical service if you have additional questions.